Description & History
Since 1917, Catholic Charities’ programs have been offered to anyone in need, regardless of religious affiliation. The ultimate goal of our services is self-sufficiency, so that individuals and families receive the help they need to live independently and with dignity. In the past year, the agency touched the lives of over 1,000,000 individuals through 159 programs at 156 separate locations across Illinois’ Cook and Lake Counties.
Catholic Charities’ programs are divided into five service areas:
- Family and Parish Support Service Area, which addresses basic social and psychological needs of families and individuals through information and referral, community casework, counseling, shelter services, and specialized services for immigration and refugees.
- Children, Youth and Family Service Area, whichoffers child development centers, afterschool care, services to pregnant and parenting teens, child and family counseling, and child welfare programs.
- Housing Management and Development Service Area, whichdevelops and manages affordable and federally-assisted rental housing for low-income seniors, veterans, families and special populations.
- Senior Services and Health Care, which provides in-home and related supportive services for seniors on a non-residential basis; senior activity centers; licensed nursing home and supportive living; and case management.
- Community Development and Outreach Service Area, which assists individuals, families, and communities in the provision of services that support growth and development in areas of community, nutrition, health, education and intervention outreach initiatives.
Catholic Charities is accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA). The Council on Accreditation is the international human service accrediting body of community-based organizations providing social and behavioral healthcare services. This distinction emphasizes the quality of Catholic Charities’ work with clients and other service providers, and certifies the agency’s full compliance with accepted national standards for social services delivery and management.